Sunday, May 28, 2006

So what is it turning into?

I'm finding that I can't knit fast enough to get all these sock ideas out of my head. What I usually do, is that I have an idea and just start to knit, jotting down notes as I go. But I just might have to change my habits, and jot down notes before I get to the project, because I have at least 3 different sock patterns in my head all at once, all of which I think would probably be very workable ideas. But here's the first one, and this one definitely was dictated by the color. I wanted something that would look waterlike, like waves or something. Some patterns I found came close, but none were exactly what I was looking for. And you know what that means. Write your own. The stitch pattern I picked out was the Scroll pattern from Barbara Walker's A Treasury of Knitting Patterns. I also considered all the Feather and fan like patterns, but gave up on those. This looks very wavy to me:
This was my first attempt, but as you can see, there's no needles in it, which can only mean one thing: doomed to be frogged! I used the pattern as it is in the book, each stitch pattern being 10 stitches wide, 6 repeats -> 60 stitches. It's not very stretchy, and so it turned out to be a little too tight. My options were to do a 9x7 -> 63 s (9 stitches in the pattern), an 8x8 -> 64 s (eight stitches in the pattern), or 11x6 -> 66 s (11 stitches in the pattern). So I modified the pattern to be 11 stitches wide, giving me 66 stitches, which turned out to be the perfect amount. Here's my second attempt:
And on my foot:

See how I had to change the ribbing, as well? The first attempt had a k3p2, which was perfect for the 10 stitch pattern repeat, but now I had 66 stitches, an 11 stitch pattern repeat and 33 stitches on the needles per side. So I went with a k1p1 this time.


This is my first try on socks on circulars, and it's less awkward that I thought. I might actually start to like it. At least I like the safety factor, instead of having 5 fairly sharp needles floating around, I only have 1 circular. I didn't want to work with two, it just seemed like too much stuff dangling around. Now I just have to show my mom and convince her that this is the way to go... ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great pattern, and fits the yarn perfectly!