Friday, March 17, 2006

The Jaywalker experience

We only have two yarn stores here in town, and the other week I went to visit the other one, which is brand new. I was slightly taken aback by the -I must say -quite expensive prices, but I wanted to buy something just to support the local store, which we don't have so many of. Most of the time, I buy my yarns online, and that's fine, but you don't get to touch them, feel how soft they are, or see the real colors, which a local yarn store is good for. And sometimes you end up with something you didn't quite expect. Well, back to my yarn store visit. I found this sock yarn called Wildfoote, 75 % wool, 25 % nylon, and it was very reasonably priced. The color is called Forget Me Not, and is a touch more purple than in the pictures.

I'd been eying the
Jaywalker pattern for a while already, and thought this would be a nice yarn to try that with (mistake #1). I had to adjust the size a bit to accommodate my wide calf and foot, but that was no problem. I also wanted to try the picot edge with these socks (mistake #2). Mistake #1 was that I didn't realize that this yarn has absolutely no stretch, and would not be a good choice for Jaywalkers. All I was concerned about was the color... Mistake #2 was that I didn't realize the zig-zag pattern would make the picot flare out. This actually was much less of a problem once I tried the sock on, because the edge lies flat against my leg. But... mistake #1 made the top of the foot pucker terribly. And no blocking was ever going to fix that! It is so ugly, I don't even want to post a picture... But here's the rest of the sock, the leg, the picot edge, and the short row heel (my first, if I may add.)


the leg and the Wildfoote yarn
The picot edge


The short row heel

I think what I will do, is frog the foot and just knit it plain, and leave the leg as it is. I guess my words of wisdom are that if you are planning on knitting the Jaywalkers, choose a yarn with at least a little bit of a stretch.
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: