Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Getting my feet wet...

with dying yarn! I've had this undyed fingering weight yarn from Knitpicks in my yarn stash for a while now, but haven't gotten around to ordering any dyes yet. Partly because I didn't know what to order, and where from. Claudia's post today inspired me to do that, though, and I ordered a whole bunch of different colors from prochemical. My goal is to turn the yarn into something slightly variegated, a mossy green that would work for Ene's scarf in the Scarf Style book. I would really like to get good at dyeing/painting my own yarns, and it doesn't seem to be too complicated of a task. I do have a chemistry background, so I should be able to manage it! The main reason for wanting to dye my own yarns is that the really nice hand dyed yarns are just so outrageously expensive that I just can't fit them into my yarn budget, and the not quite as nice ones are always missing that perfect color combination that I'm looking for.

1 comment:

Lene said...

Completely agree with you!