Sunday, April 05, 2015

Royal

A little girl I know is in need of a princess crown. As are almost all little girls, I believe. Enter Auntie Lotta's royal crown shop:



I browsed crown patterns on Ravelry (there are surprisingly many) but didn't find anything that would fit the bill exactly, so I set out to device my own. I needed it to look enough like a real crown to fit a real princess, but yet be sturdy enough to withstand play and wear. Also, I needed it to fit a 2-year old's head.

I started with a cotton blend yarn, about light sport weight, and added sparkle with a metallic crochet thread. I also wanted to add some bling bling, and decided that the safest way (to avoid a choking hazard) was to crochet in some small beads. If this was for an older kid, I would have added more bling.


Pattern: my own (see below)
Yarn: Premier Yarns Cotton Fair (52 % cotton, 48 % acrylic) and DMC metallic embroidery thread, color light silver. I didn't use the metallic on the first three rounds because I was afraid I would run out--the spool only had 40 yards.
Hook: 3.5 mm
Other: Mod Podge Stiffy; glass or plastic beads size 10 or larger (I used 16 clear and 8 turquoise beads)
On Ravelry: project and pattern


In case you want to make your own royal crown (and who wouldn't??), here is my pattern. As written, this makes a crown with a 46 cm or 18 inch circumference. To adjust the size by just a little, the easiest this would be to adjust yarn and hook size. Otherwise, you can add or reduce pattern repeats. The pattern repeat is 12 s, and the pattern as written has 8 repeats.

Abbreviations: CH chain stitch; SL slip stitch; SC single crochet; DC double crochet; TC treble crochet.
Royal
  1. CH 96s, join in the round with SL.
  2. CH 3s, DC 1 in each of the stitches of the previous round. Join with SL.
  3. Repeat round 2.
  4. CH 5s, *DC 1 in the third stitch of the previous round, CH 2s*, repeat *-* all the way around. Join with SL to the 3rd stitch of the initial CH 5s.
  5. CH 1s, * DC 5 into the next DC of the previous round, SC into the second DC of the previous round*, repeat *-* all the way around. Join with SL.
  6. SL3 (end up at the center top of the first cluster), *CH 7s, SC to the center of the next cluster of the previous round*, repeat *-* all the way around. IF USING BEADS: thread a bead over the metallic thread loop after you pull the SC loop through the center stitch of the cluster. Continue to crochet as usual. I used 16 clear beads on this round.
  7. **EDIT 2/1/2017 (this change was noted in the Errata on the Ravelry pattern page)** SC 7s in the next space. Repeat all the way around. Join with SL to the first SC.
  8. SL3 (end up at the center top of the first arch), *CH 4s, TC into the center of the next arch, CH 7s,  TC into the same center stitch, CH 4s, SC to the center of the next arch**, repeat *-* all the way around. IF USING BEADS: thread a bead over the metallic thread loop after you pull the SC loop through the center stitch of the arch. Continue to crochet as usual.
  9. *SC 4s, SL1 at the top of the TC of the previous round, SC 4s, into the leg of the last SC stitch: **CH 3s, SL1, CH 5s, SL1, CH 3s, SL1**, SC 3s, SL1 at the top of the TC of the previous round, SC 4s*, repeat *-* all the way round.
  10. Weave in ends. Place the crown over a suitable size cylinder or cone (I used a large roll of paper towel covered with a plastic bag). Stiffen with a suitable media, such as Mod Podge Stiffy, starch, or sugar solution. Allow to dry in place. Mod Podge required two applications. If you're not concerned about a choking hazard (children under 3 yrs), you can add more beads or jewels at this point by sewing or gluing.
© 2015 Lotta Kiuru-Ribar;  All Rights Reserved

29 comments:

Reba said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I have 2 little princesses that will love wearing this. Thank you again

Lotta said...

Thanks, Reba! If you try the pattern, let me know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lotta - absolutely LOVE this crown! Have decided to make it in wire (1/2 scale on smaller hook) to decorate the top of a teacosy I've knitted for a friend's 60th birthday gift. Thanks so very, very much for posting it, Princess Julie will adore it!
Cath

Anonymous said...

Hei Lotta! Eksyin sivuillesi vahingossa. Mukavia ideoita sain blogistasi;pitänee jatkossakin käydä kurkkimassa :)
Kruunun saa pieni prinsessa koristamaan hattuaan, omasta toiveestaan!

sewing green lady said...

That is so pretty! No little girls in this house so no much opportunity for making princess accessories. I have made a few pantomime outfits for a friends child though, that was fun.x

Serijski samoubitzaH said...

Hi Lotta! Thank you very much for this pattern! I just tried it out, and it was very easy and fun to make, and the result is just gorgeous!

I used some upcycled cotton yarn from and old doily with 1mm hook, so it came out some 8cm in diameter, and I left it all natural, no bling, no dye, just spray starch - it's fabulous and delicate, so romantic :)

Cheerz,
Jelena

L.Terrell said...

Thanks for sharing, this is Beautiful!

L.Terrell said...

Thanks for sharing, this is Beautiful!

Nikki said...

Looking forward to making for my first GrandBaby, due October 1st,2016 ! Thankyou !!

Anonymous said...

Do you have any videos on this...I am having problems with round 8. I am also wondering how you applied the Modge Podge. I haven't ever done this. Email address: emperplfrk@yahoo.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm also having trouble. Did you get an answer??

Anonymous said...

Hi (= I'm also having problems with round 8. Can you explain it to me a little bit? Here or email is fine (= thanks. Psami93@gmail.com

Lotta said...

Thank you for your comments and sorry about the radio silence! I have not had time to focus on answering your questions. :(
I made a correction that had been noted on the Ravelry pattern page as "errata" but not here. Although I don't think it makes a difference for round 8 (now round 9).
If I'm guessing right, the problems with round 8 (now 9) have to do with the part that begins "into the leg of the last SC stitch." This is where you make the little clover leaf looking thing at the top. The three little loops are all attached to the same single crochet stitch (the last one you just made on that round) by slip stitches. Hope this helps!
Lotta

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the pattern,it looks so delicate!Cannot wait to try it! Can you please tell me if I want to make it larger,I should start with what multiple of chains? Thank you very much!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

In step #7 (errata) it says to SC 7 in the next space and to continue that all the way around? So 7 SC in each stitch all the way around? Thanks for the clarification :)

Lotta said...

SC 7 in each of the spaces (loops) of the previous round, rather than in every stitch.

Unknown said...

Thank you!!!

max said...

I also want to make this for a new born what size needle did you use?

Anonymous said...

Can items made with your patterns be sold as long as I give you credit for the pattern? This has been fun to make by the way!

Lotta said...

I am ok with you selling items that you yourself have made from this pattern.

If other readers want to sell items made from this or my other patterns, please let me know prior to doing so.

Happy crafting!

Anonymous said...

I see I am not alone in the Round 8 problems. My difficulty begins with the CH 4, SC to the center of the next arch. A video of this round would be amazing. suegourley@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I am having the same problem with Round 8. I cannot get it to come out right.Can you please clarify? My round 8 looks nothing like the picture. :(

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have a video of this one? For some reason row 8 is not working right for me..It's kind of off center...

Anonymous said...

My mistake was not TC in the “Same” center st you just ch7 from if that helps because the word @same@ doesn’t appear until the second sentence

Amazon Prime said...

https://24wallpapers.com/wallpapers/crown-royal-logo

Sonal said...

Excellent Work ❣️👍

Anonymous said...

thank u for shring❤️